BRAKING NEWS: Burkina Faso attack: Hostages freed from Ouagadougou hotel

BURKINAFASO TERRO.jpg1Fire can be seen and explosions heard near the Splendid hotel in Ouagadougou.

About 30 hostages have been freed after an attack by militants on a hotel in Burkina Faso’s Ouagadougou that reportedly killed at least 20 people.
Several masked men stormed the Splendid Hotel, taking hostages, after car bombs went off outside, eyewitnesses said.

Communications Minister Remis Dandjinou tweeted that some 30 hostages had been liberated and that a military operation to secure the site was ongoing.

He said Minister of Public Works Clement Sawadogo was among those freed.
Thirty-three people were in hospital receiving treatment, he added. It is not known if any hostages remain inside the hotel, but witnesses reported heavy gunfire from the top floors at around 05:00 local time (same as GMT).
French special forces and Burkinabe troops were involved in rescuing hostages, Mr

Dandjinou said.
He said that the total number of those who lost their lives was not yet known.
Hospital chief Robert Sangare quoted survivors as saying at least 20 people had died in the initial attack, before the security forces began their assault.

Later Interior Minister Simon Compaore said 10 bodies had been found inside the Cappuccino cafe near the hotel – used by UN staff and Westerners, and also attacked by the militants.

One group that monitors jihadist networks said al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb claimed it was behind the attack on the four-star hotel alongside members of the al-Murabitoun Islamist group.

Who are al-Murabitoun?
Burkina FasoImage copyrightAFP/Getty ImagesBURKINAFASO TERRO
Image caption
Burkinabe soldiers are stationed outside the Hotel Splendid
Map of West Africa
Witnesses said the gunmen had initially entered the Cappuccino cafe. One employee at the cafe told Agence France Presse that “several people” had been killed there.
Eyewitnesses reported hearing exchanges of gunfire between the men and security forces, as well as sporadic gunfire from inside the hotel, which is close to the country’s international airport.
Who is the group responsible?
Mali security personal pick up the lifeless body of a victim inside the Radisson Blu hotel after an attack by gunmen on the hotel in Bamako, Mali, Friday, Nov. 20, 2015Image copyrightAP
Image caption_87741829_burkinafaso_464_30102014
Twenty people died in an attack by al-Murabitoun and al-Qaeda on a Mali hotel in November

The SITE monitoring group, which analyses jihadist networks, said al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) claimed it was behind the attack.
The monitoring group specifically stated that those responsible were the al-Murabitoun group, which is based in the Sahara desert in northern Mali and contains fighters loyal to the veteran Algerian militant Mokhtar Belmokhtar.
Last month, the group announced it had merged with AQIM. Belmokhtar, a one-eyed commander who fought Soviet forces in Afghanistan in the 1980s, was once a member of AQIM but left after a falling-out with its leadership.
Belmokhtar has been declared dead many times, the latest by a US air strike on 14 June last year in Libya – according to Libyan authorities – but his death has not been formally confirmed.

AQIM and al-Murabitoun said they were behind an attack on a hotel in Burkina Faso’s neighbour Mali in November, that left 20 people dead.
Burkina Faso had recently held its first presidential election since a coup earlier last year.

That coup toppled long-time leader Blaise Compaore, who had governed for 27 years.
“We are still in a context of political fragility, so I think the timing of this attack is meaningful,” Cynthia Ohayon, an analyst with the International Crisis Group, told the BBC from Ouagadougou.
“The country has long borders with Mali and Niger, and we know there are armed groups present on the border, so this was probably something we had coming.”
Are you in the area? Let us know about your experiences. Email haveyoursay@bbc.co.uk with your stories.
Please include a contact number if you are willing to speak to a BBC journalist. You can also contact us in the following ways:

WhatsApp: +44 7525 900971
Send pictures/video to yourpics@bbc.co.uk
Upload your pictures / video here
Tweet: @BBC_HaveYourSay
Send an SMS or MMS to 61124 or +44 7624 800 100

Advertisements

About Sylvester

The world will always give you the opportunity to quit. In trying times, too many people quit trying. One of the most powerful success principles ever preach is: Never Give Up!
This entry was posted in Boko Haram, BREAKING NEWS AROUND THE WORLD and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s